Sunday, October 10, 2010

The final hurdle

Today was a major turning point of my time spent here in Premanon. This morning was the 2nd and final muscle biopsy which was the last of the invasive tests. I was pretty nervous of the procedure, but was looking forward to getting it over with. During the biopsy, Carsten used local anesthetics to numb an area in my quad. He then made an incision and used a special device to "suck out" a sample of muscle. Painful, but quick. Thankfully, this time around was not as rough as the first biopsy because I knew what to expect.

This evening we will be moving back downstairs into normal single rooms. Everyone is excited to get out of our cramped, stuffy, noisy hypoxic rooms. I can't wait to open the window and hear the cowbells and breath the fresh mountain air again! Our final two weeks should be pretty plush. We are not on a time schedule and there are not many tests.


Above is a video that Carsten took of me performing the final few minutes of one of many VO2 Max tests. In this one, I topped out at 475 watts and you can tell I'm really suffering by the way I start fighting the bike!

2 comments:

  1. I shouldn't laugh at the effort you are putting forth on this test, but I was cracking up at the man that didn't stop cheering the entire time...and your bobbing head towards the end. Nice work Logan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yes it is pretty comical! The researchers are a great cheer squad! By the end of these tests, i don't even realize i'm bouncing around so much. Just trying to keep moving those pedals.

    ReplyDelete