Saturday, May 25, 2024

Nomad Spring 24 - Week 1

Part 2 of blogs from my 7 week road trip!

The trip started out with a simple drive from Bellingham to Renton where my wife, Whitney, and my mom, Liz, live.  Quick backstory: Whitney went back to school during Covid, earned her teaching certificate, and started a rewarding career as an elementary educator in the Kent School District.  She now lives with my mom in Renton in the house I grew up in.  



As you might imagine, this living situation is a little unconventional (being 2 hours apart and all).  It certainly has its challenges, but it also presents some benefits.  One of those is the autonomy to independently pursue our passions.  Whitney was supportive of my plan to road trip solo, and was even excited because it meant she would have our two (Bellingham) kittens in Renton while I was gone.



The first weekend away was highlighted by my good friend Toby’s annual birthday ride, the King County Classic.  He’s been organizing this ride for years and although we are now older and don’t ride as far as we used to, it’s always a rowdy fun good time.

Following the KCC group up "Hazy" trail, named after Toby's daughter, Hazel.

The birthday boy!

Classic conditions for King County Classic

Dick's burgers - thanks to Jess for generously providing!


After the ride, the Brown Loaf carried me through the rain over the Cascades, not to return to the lush green PNW for many weeks.  The next 5 days were spent in beautiful sunny Wenatchee, where Whitney’s parents, Rick and Laura, now live after recently moving from Palm Springs, CA.  We are very glad to have them nearby again.


The beautiful Wenatchee Valley

The week in Wenatchee was great.  Whitney was on her spring break, so it was a treat to be together everyday.  I did a couple excellent rides with my buddy Mike, who also lives in Wenatchee.  He showed me around Sage Hills and Ancient Lakes-two perfect places to mountain bike in the Spring.

Sage Hills with Mike

Ancient Lakes with Mike

Very nostalgic seeing this bike that Mike owns!  It won the pro Chuckanut Enduro in 2013 :)

Come Thursday, Whitney, her parents, and I departed Wenatchee for the Columbia River near Oregon for a weekend of wine tasting.  Whitney and I camped Thursday night in the Brown Loaf at Crow Butte State Park, which was a last minute idea and a real treat to be camping together.  

Whitney, "queen of cheese boards"

Rick, Laura, and friends Brenda and Troy were staying at the Alexandria Nicole tiny homes just up the hill from the campground and we would be joining them Friday and Saturday nights.  

Proper breakfast while working solo from the Brown Loaf

Whiley Whitney and them went off to enjoy the local wine tasting, I worked from the van.  That reminds me that I should probably provide some context…  After 9 rapid growth years as an engineer in aircraft cabin interiors at Heath Tecna/Zodiac/Safran, I spent 2 memorable years at Wood Stone in pizza ovens and gas appliances, and now work as an engineer-for-hire at LMI/Sonaca.  A key part of leaving Wood Stone and returning to aerospace is that I could work remotely and spend more time in Renton with Whitney.  A side benefit of working remotely is that I can travel while continuing to work.  Call it digital nomad, vanlife, or whatever.  It’s an interesting idea and a real possibility, thanks to having the key components of job and van.

View of the Columbia River from Crow Butte

Back to the campground story.  After working the morning from the Brown Loaf, then going for a lovely trail run up Crow Butte, I moved the van up the hill to the tiny homes in the vineyard where I finished the remainder of my workday.


Alexandria Nicole vineyard and our two tiny homes

Friday night, Saturday, and Saturday night were spent with family and friends.  A few different wineries (Alexandria Nicole, Fidélitas, and Frichette), great food, and even better company made it a perfect last weekend with Whitney and family (for the foreseeable future).

Whitney in the vineyard

Come early Sunday morning and Brown Loaf and I were on the road to adventure, heading south for Utah!  To be continued…




No comments:

Post a Comment